Sunday 18 April 2010

I love to cook!










One thing I have always loved to do even as a small girl , is to cook.I remember watching my grandmother (god bless her) cooking meals for us while my parents worked.She was so careful with her ingredients, I expect that came from living through rations in the war , and she could make amazing things out of almost nothing.I remember my aunt saying that when they were young, she could produce a hearty meal to feed six out of a can of corned beef and some veg...I think today, there are not so many people who will cook for their families preferring instead to use packets and convenience food.I think everyone ought to learn to cook, it can be good fun and educational-its important to know how to feed our bodies correctly , after all would you put washing up liquid in a car instead of fuel and expect it to work properly!?I think some of the cookery writers have finally cottoned on to the fact that some people actually cannot cook at all and also that some people do not have much money , and are now publishing cookbooks aimed at normal people as opposed to people who do all their food shopping at Harrods now its more likely to say "take 500grms of minced beef" as opposed to "take 500grms of fillet steak"!which is also far more realistic.Lots of people these days are having to feed their families on a budget and i think cookery writers are now realising this.I love to read other peoples "frugal" blogs on the internet, I have picked up some very good recipes, and i too, try to be careful and not to waste food, but I think the real experts are our grandparents and parents!



No comments:

Post a Comment